Detroit style pizza!
June 23rd has the unique distinction of being declared “National Detroit-style Pizza Day.” Not sure what Detroit-style pizza is?
Detroit-style pizza is quickly making its way back into the mainstream of American pizza culture. While there are many who will lay claim to the mantle of “Best Detroit-style Pizza”, many companies are not presenting their pies in an authentic fashion.
So what makes it authentic? There are a few “rules” that need to be followed:
- Rectangular blue-steel pans, once used in car factories to hold small parts, such as nuts and bolts. These pans are specially seasoned to add a unique flavor to the dough.
- Fresh, double-proofed dough hand-stretched to the corners of the pan
- Margherita pepperoni placed under the cheese.
- Wisconsin brick cheese, crumbled rather than shredded and spread edge-to-edge to create a crispy, caramelized crust.
- Stripes of tomato sauce ladled on top of the cheese and toppings
The actual holiday may come and go, but with these five rules in place, we think you can celebrate this culinary invention as many times as you want. I mean, who doesn’t love pizza!?